Sunday, February 4, 2018

How's the Job Search Going, Chapter 1

I'll periodically post on my search for a new career in the Asset Management field.  Hopefully, this hiatus from working will be short-lived, so you won't suffer too many of these posts.

In a nutshell, since being informed in November that our Asset Management team was being disbanded, I have had the good fortune to get two interviews with companies looking for software asset managers and close to my home.  On the quality of life meter, these would both have been great.  In the Atlanta area, a 5 minute commute is an amazing feat.

Alas, while the interviews went well (from my perspective), I lost out on both of these.

It's still early in this search, so I must chalk these up as experience, and actually, one of these companies is so early in their journey to SAM nirvana, that I would gladly consider another role with them as I hope they expand their SAM practice.

My number one resource has really been LinkedIn. Asset Management is a niche function within the IT world, so our community is relatively small.  For that reason, there aren't millions of local resources, or companies looking for IT Asset Managers.  Globally, however, that expands dramatically, and LinkedIn has been a great source to find like-minded people.

Another useful source for me has been my membership in the International Association of IT Asset Manager (IAITAM).   If you're an IT Asset Manager, you really should join.  It's inexpensive and the training and material they provide is indispensable.  Since ITAM was largely ignored in the ITIL standards, IAITAM has filled in those gaps over the years.  They are the go-to organization for ITAM and hold a twice annual conference, the IAITAM ACE conference, which you should attend routinely if you're an asset manager.

On another front, another friend recommended taking advantage of Vetlanta, an organization focused on getting Atlanta area vets more involved in community service opportunities, and in serving the Atlanta veteran community, the goal being to make Atlanta the premier national destination for veterans.

The process has provided some lessons that I know will make me a much better asset manager going forward.  I have learned of resources and people that I didn't know existed.  People have been awesome in allowing me into their networks, and I'd like to particularly thank many of them.  Hopefully, the expanded network finds a great opportunity for me, and my team mates who were also laid off.

I'll keep posting...next time, some of my frustrations with the process.








No comments:

Post a Comment